Design Principles Project 1: Self-Potrait

27.9.2021 - 11.10.2021 (Week 6- Week 8)

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Design Principles
Project 1: Self-Potrait

Lecture 6 
Self-Portrait
Ms. Jinchi started off by explaining how we see ourselves or how others see us, physical traits and personality, our experiences in life, interests, and our thoughts. She also mentioned that creating a mind map can help discover ourselves. 

What's a self-portrait?
- A visual depiction of the self
- How you see yourself, how you feel and how you want to be seen by others
- Does not have to be a realistic image of yourself, just an exercise in self-exploration




TASKS
INSTRUCTIONS




Visual Research

Fig. 1.1 Mind map of what I like

First off I started out with creating a mind map and listing out things that I like so that I can combine elements of those things in my self-portrait. After that, I went on Pinterest to look at a few artworks to get inspired by.


Fig. 1.2 Perspective drawing

I wanted to try out perspective drawing, it is interesting to bring a character to live and create more impact to it by adding perspective to a drawing. This drawing was definitely eye-catching to me where they used two point perspective on the background and a fish-eye view effect on the character. The contrast colours on the character makes the artwork more unique too.


Fig. 1.3 Realistic details

I have always been fond of Junji Ito's work where he makes things looks so realistic and detailed. I love how he uses the brush strokes to create patterns and lines to give a eerie and scary vibe to it.



Fig. 1.4 Odd elements

Japanese artworks always been an inspiration to me where they are able to add odd elements like in this artwork, they added floating eyes with fire looking bodies which looks like spirits floating around.


Fig. 1.5 Another self

I wanted to create a drawing with a symbol of "another self" being in it and this artwork perfectly describes what path I am going for.


Fig. 1.6 My artwork from Foundation

I created this watercolour and ink pen artwork during my Foundation course and I wanted to incorporate the blood flowing down from the fingertips into my drawing too.




Idea Exploration
Fig. 2.1 First sketch

My first idea was actually to have me looking up at the sky. But the idea did not work out so I moved onto the next sketch instead.


Fig. 2.2 Second sketch

I was super satisfied with how this sketch turned out and I went on doing a colour mock-up of it.


Fig. 2.3 & 2.4 Colour and detail mock-up

For the mock-up colouring I decided to test out colour combination to see if it will look good for the final work. I also added some details and placed them to areas I want to just in case if it does not balance out I can still change them easily 


Fig. 2.5 & 2.6 Lighting and adding flower mock-up

After that, I added red lighting that comes from the left hand side for a dramatic effect. I  also tried adding pictures of red spider lily flowers instead of tentacles but I do not find it that suitable as it makes the whole drawing quite messy so I went to Fig. 2.5 version instead.



Progress

Fig. 3.1 Line art

After I was satisfied with the mock-up I went on doing a cleaner line art for the drawing and redraw some parts like the person in the mirror, eyes and lines on the ceiling and hair.


 
Fig. 3.2 & 3.3 Base colours and shadows

For fig. 3.2 I started off by colouring the base colours which will make it easier for me to add in shadows and details later on. In fig 3.3 is after I added shadows and facial details like eye bags and lip colour.


 
Fig. 3.4 & 3.5 Texture and details

After I am done applying shadows, I added texture to the tentacles and wall to create a more realistic effect ,added blush to the cheeks and coloured light blue and lowered down the opacity for the mirror so that the "me" in the mirror will actually look like I am trapped in it. In fig 3.5 lighting was added, the light is coming from the left side of the drawing, blood was also added throughout the body of the main subject.


Fig. 3.6 Blood and final touches

I then drew blood that was leaking out from the cuts on her fingers on different layers and darken the middle finger and pinky one to make it look like it is actually further away from each other. I also made some final touches where I erased some line art that was interrupting some parts of the drawing and adjust some colours to make it look better.


 
Fig. 3.7-3.9 Blending mode

Last but not least, I wanted create this darker layer which will make the red light and eyes stand out more so I placed a vivid light blending mode to the drawing fig. 3.7 is at 20% opacity, fig.3.8 is at 30% and fig.3.9 is at 60%. I decided to pick fig. 3.7 for my final outcome since it actually brings out everything in the drawing.



Fig. 3.10 Procreate

All of my drawing was done on Procreate as I find it super useful and it provides me with varies kind of tools and brushes to create the art that I want. I only started doing digital art two years ago fully self taught where I struggled sometimes to figure out how the tools work and using Procreate definitely helped my digital art skills grow.



FINAL OUTCOME

Fig. 4.1 Final Self-Portrait JPEG

"Haywire"

Don't you ever wonder what is going on in someone's mind? Well for mine there is this space inside my mind like there is another "me" inside of it. The inner me who is holding in all the unwanted emotions that I do not want anyone to see, from being clumsy and breaking things, crying without reasons or getting mad easily because I was having a rough day. I started keeping all my real feelings in since nobody really likes them and just called me careless and dramatic because of it. 

There is two me in this, the inner me who is bleeding through my fingers trying to let go of my emotions where the blood are all my emotions flowing out. Then there is outer me which is the me who is presented to others, is stuck in the mirror and screaming and yelling to tell the inner me to stop pouring the emotions out. If you look closely the inner me has really dark eye bags since I have insomnia, where I usually take up to 1-3 hours to fall asleep. The mirror acts as a barricade where I locked up all my emotions, the eyes that are above the ceiling are from the eyes of other people judging me. The tentacles are actually connected to the ceiling and are the people who are making it hard for me to keep my emotions in and trying to ruin the barricade which is the mirror. The other two mirrors beside the one the outer me is stuck in are mirrors of the unknown, like where does it leads? Do the mirrors end there? Are these my real emotions?  


Elements


Fig. 4.2 Inner me

The inner me who is trying to let my emotions out.


Fig. 4.3 Eye bags

Eye bags under inner me eye because I have insomnia and struggle to sleep where it can take me up to 1-3 hour to fall asleep


Fig. 4.4 Finger with cuts and blood flowing out

The fingers of the inner me has been cut and is bleeding out with a lot of blood where the bloods are my emotions flowing out.


Fig. 4.5 Outer me

The outer me who is keeping all the emotions hidden away and only present the better side of me to the others.


Fig. 4.6 Eyes on ceiling

Eyes on the ceiling which represents eye of the people who judges me when I let my emotions out.


Fig. 4.7  Mirror and tentacles

The tentacles are connected to the ceiling where it is the people who are making it hard for me to keep my emotions in and trying to destroy the barricade which is the mirror  where I use it to lock away my emotions.


Fig. 4.8 Two other mirrors

Just unknown mirrors that shows that this might not just end here there is probably something else over there.


Design Principles
  1. Emphasis: The blood flowing out from the fingers cuts
  2. Balance: Everything is evenly balanced and is not too crowded
  3. Contrast:  Red and monochrome colours
  4. Repetition: Eyes and lines on the ceiling, strands of hair, fishnet shirt and checkered tiles
  5. Movement: The lines on the ceiling and the blood flowing out from the fingers cuts
  6. Harmony and Unity: All the elements comes together
  7. White Space: Negative space on the corner left


Fig. 4.9 Final Outcome PDF



FEEDBACK

Week 7 
Mr. Charles suggested me to add more details onto the hand as it was the main focus of the drawing, he said to add like a scratch mark from where the blood is bleeding out so that the blood does not look like it just came out of nowhere. I also mentioned that I wanted to add some red spider lily flowers into my drawing, and he said that I can try copy and pasting images of the flowers from the internet.




REFLECTION
I really love creating characters so this project was super fun for me to carry out. I tried out different brushes that I don't normally use to give it a more rustic and avant-garde look. This project has made me let go some of my uneasy thoughts and feelings which makes myself let loose a little. Overall, I really enjoyed this project where I am comfortable to show my true self.




REFERENCES

Fig. 1.2 Perspective drawing
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/858780222700084163/

Fig. 1.3 Realistic details
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/81/8d/0e818dfc3517497a1b9ee0c2b13cd8a0.jpg

Fig. 1.4 Odd elements
https://www.behance.net/gallery/69194177/Dead-Secret-Kedit-Kotaro-Chiba-2018

Fig. 1.5 Another self
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/858780222700084156/











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)