Illustration and Visual Narrative : Final Compilation and Reflection

 26/8/2021 - 2/12/2021 ( Week 1- Week 15 )

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Illustration and Visual Narrative
Final Compilation and Reflection

PROJECTS






Submissions:


Task 1: Exercises
26/8/2021 - 16/9/2021 (Week 1 - Week 4)

Exercise 1: Vormator Challenge



Fig. 1.1 Final character (23/9/2021)




Fig. 1.2 Final character PDF  (23/9/2021)


 
Fig. 1.3 & 1.4 Final game card layout 



Fig. 1.5 Final game card layout PDF





Exercise 2: Vector Illustration (Game card design)

Task 2: Decisive Moment
16/9/2021 - 29/10/2021 (Week 4 - Week 10)


Fig.2.1 Final Chainsaw Man Poster (29/10/21)


Fig.2.2 Final Chainsaw Man GIF (29/10/21)




Task 3 and Final Project: Graphic novel (Webtoon) and Motion Comic
21/10/2021 - 5/12/2021 (Week9 - Week 15)



Fig.3.1 Final Webtoon comic PDF (3/12/21)



Fig.3.2 Final motion comic animation (5/12/21)






REFLECTION

Experience
I was very excited for this module as I have a big interest in illustrating but to my surprise this module focuses more on using the Illustrator software more than drawing in general. I was a bit taken aback as I had zero to none experience in using the Illustrator software before so I knew I am going for a rough journey. Even though there are multiple tutorials on how to use it I definitely did struggle. I did not start of that strong for my first exercise but I tried to work harder for the last two projects that we had. Creating a game card was something fun yet confusing as I have never actually played with one before so I am not sure what elements or things I am supposed to include in it. The vormator challenge was quite a restriction to our design but it was very fun to see what kind of thing I could create with such limit amount of shapes. The decisive moment poster was really fun to create as I was able to pick one of my favorite manga as the theme of it, the final outcome was very pleasing to me. For the final project, time was a big big issue, I was not able to manage my time well as there were a lot of assignments and projects of other modules that I had to do too. Other than that I also had some trouble in writing my story as I was not able to perfect it immediately and I am not that good in writing stories that are in my head. After this semester I know that I have to learn how to manage my time better, I am not too sure how am I going to achieve that since I am already working on my projects for the entire day, not going out and staying up till 4:00 a.m. everyday.



Observation
This module had teach me on how to use Illustrator better. Picking out right colour palette is very important as one wrong or dull colour will ruin the entire outcome. Tutorials and videos on the internet was a big help in solving some of the problems I face with the software.  There is still some things I am not perfect on but I will polishing them as I go further into this course.


Findings
Coming up with a great story behind the things we create plays a huge part in it as something with no or a very plain story will lead into confusion and being uninterested in it. Creating a good composition is also very important in illustrating as it will effect the overall look and outcome of the final work. I also find that all the animes, manga and music that I have watch, read and listen throughout the years has been a big help in coming up with ideas for my projects. It gave me more ways to be creative and also gave me a base on story and character designs.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design