Vehicle and Props Design - Project 2: Production

11/11/2022 - 26/11/2022 ( Week 11- Week 13 )

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Vehicle and Props Design / Entertainment Design
Project 2: Production

INSTRUCTION




Tasks

Week 11-13: 
1. Draw 1 interior and 1 prop for your chosen vehicle
2. Draw all the views for the 3 vehicle or 3D model your chosen vehicle



Project 2
Exterior
For project 2  we were tasked to choose the vehicle that we want to focus on, so I went with the air vehicle as I was very fond of the design. 

I started off by drawing the orthographics for the airship. 


Fig. 1.1  Airship orthographics pt1 week 10 (10/11/2022)


Fig. 1.2  Airship orthographics pt2 week 10 (10/11/2022)


After that I proceeded with making some refinements on the back wings and creating more volume on the solid structure. I continued with rendering the airship after refining the line art. 


Fig. 1.3  Airship flat colour from project 1



Fig. 1.4  Airship rendered (7/12/2022)


Interior
We also had to design the interior of the airship. I decided to draw the cockpit and I went on to gather some references on Pinterest. I wanted to incorporate a pirate ship steering wheel, lots a pipes, meters, communication pipes, having a communication area and a resting area.



Fig. 2.1  Airship interior moodboard (24/11/2022)


At first, I wanted to just cut the cockpit in half and draw the interior there, but I found it hard to add details and it resulted in the design becoming bland. I then went with drawing the close-up instead. My sketches tend to be horrendous and nobody would be able to understand what in the world I have drawn, so I had to clean up the sketch and make different sections into different colours to avoid confusing myself.  


Fig. 2.2  Cockpit sketch (25/11/2022)


After that, I went on colour filling it with flat colours. This was still a WIP since I had to rush for a feedback session. 


Fig. 2.3  Cockpit flat colour (25/11/2022)


According to Mr. Kannan's feedback, I made a few changes where I added some textures and lines to separate sections and also rivets to hold the stairs to make it more sturdy. I also added on the details I planned on having in the first place.


Fig. 2.4  Cockpit refinement line art (25/11/2022)


Below is the colour value of the airship's interior.


Fig. 2.5  Cockpit colour value (8/12/2022)


I wanted to have an eerie and spooky effect in the cockpit because vampires ya. I made the lights green as well to match the windows.


Fig. 2.6  Cockpit final design (8/12/2022)


Below are the details and the location of the interior.


Fig. 2.7  Cockpit details (9/12/2022)


Fig. 2.8 Cockpit location (9/12/2022)


Props
Other than the interior, we also had to come up with prop designs. I wanted to draw a gramophone inspired by vampires. The gramophone is located in the main hall of the airship as a source of entertainment for the passengers. The base of the structure was designed to look like a coffin and it is designed with engravings. To give the gramophone a more vampire feel, I added a red bat wing onto the end of the horn. 


Fig. 3.1  Gramophone, prop (25/11/2022)


Fig. 3.2 Gramophone final design, prop (1/12/2022)


Fig. 3.3  Gramophone location and details, prop (9/12/2022)


For the second prop, I drew a notebook. The notebook is located on the desk at the resting area in the cockpit of the airship. It is a personal notebook of the pilot, where he carries around with him during his travels. It has a bat illustration in the middle and engravings. 


Fig. 3.4  Notebook, prop (8/12/2022)



Fig. 3.5  Notebook final design, prop (8/12/2022)



Fig. 3.6  Notebook location and details, prop (9/12/2022)


Last but not least, for the third prop, I went with the telephone that is on the desk of the communication area in the cockpit. It is used for communication outside the airship. The telephone was inspired by telephones from the Victorian era. 


Fig. 3.7  Telephone, prop (9/12/2022)



Fig. 3.8  Telephone final design, prop (9/12/2022)



Fig. 3.9  Telephone location and details, prop (9/12/2022)


Final


Fig. 4.1  Project 2: Production (9/12/2022)



FEEDBACK
Week 11 (18/11/2022)
Airship exterior: 
Add more volume on the wings of the airship and the solid parts of the metals so that it does not look flimsy. 

Week 12 (25/11/2022)
Airship interior: 
Looks good to go, just for the stairs add a ring holding it with rivets to make it look more sturdy. Other than that just add sections to create more volume for the pipes and windows. Also don't make it too green. 

Week 13 (1/12/2022)
Polish the materials, make sure to use the proper materials. Don't make the lighting all green , make another layer and use multiply to overlay on it. Look for breakers for the wall like the center piece of the interior. Add signage near the staircase and add texture. 



REFLECTION

Drawing the orthographics for the vehicle was quite tough but it was not as hard as doing the 3/4 view. I really enjoyed doing the interior, I spend days just improving it and adding more details. The props were pretty fun to do as well, especially the painting part, adding the texture made me very satisfied. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)