Anatomy and Character Sculpture - Final Project: Polishing and Dynamic Posture with Props

24/11/2022 - 12/12/2022 ( Week 13- Week 15 )

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Anatomy and Character Sculpture / Entertainment Design
Final Project: Polishing and Dynamic Posture with Props


INSTRUCTION




Final Project

Oh my god.... she doing gymnastics

I was testing the transpose master, where after I clicked bind mesh and this happened T^T


Fig. 1.1  What in the world (4/12/2022)


I followed exactly like the rigging tutorial that Mr. Kannan shared with us. However, after I press bind mesh, my file starts loading and when I click anywhere in the Zbrush file the whole thing crashes and I am unable to do anything at all. It's so frustrating.  


Fig. 1.2  T-pose mesh (4/12/2022)


After mentioning the issues that bind mesh was causing to Mr. Kannan. I was told to use lasso mask to mask the sections and rotate it, while not needing to rig anything. Then from that merged 50+ of my layers into 11, the ones I merged together will be moving along with the body rotation while the left out ones I will manually adjust them to create more movement. 

Fig. 1.3  Merging layers (5/12/2022)


Zbrush is mean... it keeps quitting on me


Fig. 1.4  WHY (5/12/2022)


Due to my hero pose from character design being too wild and will possibly not work with the rotation method as it turns her into Buer, the 10th spirit of the Ars Goetia. I then decided to change her pose into a more subtle one instead since time was also running out.


Fig. 1.5  Buer (5/12/2022)


I also tried cutting her arm off while duplicating another model to try to insert it back in and merge together, didn't work.....


Fig. 1.6  Failed surgery (5/12/2022)


Zbrush testing my patience and sanity part 15? Honestly, idk anymore I've been suffering 2 days posing her. 


Fig. 1.7  Becoming the monster that she actually is (5/12/2022)


AFTER 2 DAYS. I'm finally done posing her.


Fig. 1.8  Final Pose (5/12/2022)



Fig. 1.9  Character 3D model turnaround (5/12/2022)


After that, I started rendering the model. I watched the tutorial that Mr. Kannan sent. But I was still so confused, might be because of the lack of sleep. I literally started rendering at 11pm and it took me till 6am to figure out how to make it the way I wanted it to be.


Fig. 1.10  Rendering model (6/12/2022)


Fig. 1.11  Final rendered model (6/12/2022)

For the poster, I decided to take the elements that I used in the splash art and livestream reveal that I did in character design and edit it a little. For the flames, I used difference blending mode, lightining I used colour blending model while I turn up the transparency for the summoning circle as they were too bright before and overpowered my 3D model. The element and shrine icons are from Genshin Impact which is the game my character is set in. 


Fig. 1.12  Final 3D model poster (6/12/2022)


Final


Fig. 2.1  Final rendered model JPEG (6/12/2022)



Fig. 2.2  Final 3D model poster JPEG (6/12/2022)



Fig. 2.3  Final Project: Polishing and Dynamic Posture with Props PDF (6/12/2022)



REFLECTION

Man this project was painful, ZBrush was not working with me at all. Posing the character took me two whole days to finish because the first method with t-pose mesh did not work since it made ZBrush crash with a single click. The rendering part made me so frustrated because I was so confused on how it was supposed to work and ended up figuring it out after 8 hours of pure pain. Though now I can render a character within 30 minutes. Looking at the outcome of my model I am extremely proud I was able to improve so much since my foundation years, the 3D model I made then was horrendous, it was also because I modelled it with a mouse during that time ahah. I had no idea we could use digital drawing tablets for 3D modelling so I never gotten one.  The previous software I used was Sculptris and it did not provide that many tools like ZBrush, but you know what is similar about them, is that they keep crashing. I will continue to improve my 3D modelling skills during my semester break through ZBrush. I would also like to give a huge thanks to Mr. Kannan for helping me by giving helpful feedbacks to improve my work throughout the semester. His tutorials in class had helped me learn more about the tools and functions that we can use in ZBrush to apply to our models. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design