Anatomy and Character Sculpture - Project 1: Stylized Character Blockout

7/10/2022 - 11/11/2022 ( Week 6- Week 11 )

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Anatomy and Character Sculpture / Entertainment Design
Project 1: Stylized Character Blockout


INSTRUCTION




Project 1
In week 6, we started with our character blockout to understand the overall proportion. I block the muscles with layers of different subtools. 


Fig. 1.1  Character blockout Week 6 (12/10/2022)


I then continued sculpting my character by adding more and more subtools to create blocks of muscles to get the proportion right. I also made her legs longer as in class Mr. Kannan mentioned that sexy female game characters tend to have longer legs.


Fig. 1.2  Character blockout Week 7 (19/10/2022)


I made her butt bigger and also gave her more curves in the midriff area since she looked really flat before.


Fig. 1.3 Character blockout Week 8 (26/10/2022)


I made adjustments to the model according to the feedback Mr. Kannan gave me. After that, I merge most of the small parts of the body and smooth them out. 


Fig. 1.4 Character blockout Week 9 (2/11/2022)

In week 10, I made the changes according to the feedback I have gotten and merged all the layers together and finalised the character blockout. 


Fig. 1.5 Character blockout Week 10 (9/11/2022)


We were also told to blockout the hair. This part was fun since I love making the details on the hair. I did struggle a little with her bangs since I did not know how to sculpt hair in the first place. 


Fig. 1.6 Character blockout with hair Week 10 (9/11/2022)


Here is the close-up of the hair blockout.


Fig. 1.7 Character blockout with hair close-up Week 10 (9/11/2022)


Final


Fig. 2.1 Project 1: Stylized Character Blockout PDF (11/11/2022)



FEEDBACK
Week  6 (6/10/2022)
If you are doing a sexy female character for a game, their legs are usually longer. 

Week  8 (27/10/2022)
Look at how the default is formed, how the diamond is formed as your trapezius overlapping up to here, look at which part will be solid and popping out and how it is overlapping for the shoulder blade where the muscles are pinning. Look at which area the pelvis is protruding, the hands are too straight, and the side profile needs work, but the rest are okay. The arms... because the shoulder blade is coming in like a blade, hunch forward or backwards, the head is like an "L", bring the skull a little forward, create a nice bean shape that is interlocking like this, push the thigh upwards, leg side view double check, increase the length of the arm. 


Fig. 1.1 Week 8 feedback from Mr. Kannan

Week  10 (3/11/2022)
Adjust the head structure make the jaw sharper and redo the lips and nose, add some muscles on the body. 



REFLECTION

I struggled with the arms a lot, I kept making it bend inwards for some reason. The facial features, hands and feet were really hard to perfect as well since they were more detailed than the rest of the body more attention had to be put into those parts. It also took me a while to get her body to hunch properly as I made it too straight at the beginning. The one thing I enjoy a lot was adding the muscles onto the body then smoothing everything out together. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design