Anatomy and Character Sculpture - Project 2: Character Detailing and Texturing

10/11/2022 - 24/11/2022 ( Week 11- Week 13 )

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Anatomy and Character Sculpture / Entertainment Design
Project 2: Character Detailing and Texturing


INSTRUCTION




Project 2
I started project 2 with the clothes blockout. For the clothes I mask them on the character's model then extract out to the thickness of my preference. I suffered with the sleeves for hourss, I could not figure out how to do it even after looking up for YouTube tutorials, so it was just mostly trial and error with using the move brush and polishing the sharp ends. 


Fig. 1.1 Clothes blockout Week 11 (20/11/2022)


After the blockout I started adding details like seams for the clothes. 


Fig. 1.2 Clothes detailing Week 12 (21/11/2022)


I got so frustrated because this notification started popping up when I was modelling the character. It stopped for a while, then after that it appeared again when I open the file, I can't seem to find what is wrong even after searching the internet, but it did not affect my model so I decided to just let it be. 


Fig. 1.3 INTERNAL ERROR


I started adding on the details for my character such as the hair accessories, tassels, bow, leg garter, stocking details and so on. 


Fig. 1.4 Details Week 12 (23/11/2022)


It's 6am I haven't slept, I accidentally deleted a layer, I don't know how to get it back, I have to do it all over again, I hate myself, I want to cry.


Fig. 1.5 PAIN


I did a few adjustments according to the feedback I have gotten. I added the folds for the clothes and made the front cloth drape down.  I struggle with making her backcloth so I really started to think if I should just leave it out since there was not enough time. 


Fig. 1.6 Adjustments Week 13 (1/12/2022)


Here is my progress for the colouring before the feedback session.


Fig. 1.7 Colour Progress Week 13 (1/12/2022)


This takes forever to colour , I'm gonna age 10 years from this


Fig. 1.8 Painting braids on hip week 13 (3/12/2022)


I followed the steps Mr. Kannan taught me for the backcloth. However, I could not make it as jagged as I wanted it to be as I could not mask it in detail because when I press onto dynamesh my cloth just gives off a burnt cheese texture no matter how many times I adjusted the thickness for my cloth. I also could not make it transparent as how it was supposed to be since the transparency button did not work in my ZBrush for some reason. 


Fig. 1.9 Base Colour Week 14 (3/12/2022)


For the colour to match my character's one, I went onto texture to import the image that I want to pick my colour from, then press the spotlight option and scale it to the size that I want, after that I press Z then the spotlight tool will turn off, I then painted the image that is projected onto my subtool and press Z again to turn the spotlight on and press shift+Z to turn off the projection. 


Fig. 1.10 Base Colour Picking Week 14 



Fig. 1.11 Shading and details Week 14 (4/12/2022)


Final


Fig. 2.1  Project 2: Character Detailing and Texturing PDF (5/12/2022)




FEEDBACK
Week  11 (10/11/2022)
Add the blockout of the clothing, to understand the proportion. 

Week  12 (24/11/2022)
The hand is a bit flat, make it thicker in the middle. Add some wrinkles to the clothes. The cloth in the middle look flat like leather, make it drapping down instead.


Fig. 1.1  Week 12 feedback from Mr. Kannan

For the backcloth, use a plain 3D, the flat one insert it, no dynamesh yet. After increasing the thickness in dynamic subdiv only can hit dynamesh. Control brush pressure for masking by increasing the RGB intensity for drawing tablet, then choose free hand brush, look for torn cloth save it as alpha, or draw the cloth out on your own, use JPEG 512 512 artboard, import in the second square on the left as alpha then project it, mask, ctrl w, shift f, tap once in polygroup, edge loop, edge panel loop to lock down the edges, use move elastic tool to move the cloth. 


Fig. 1.2 Increasing the thickness in dynamic subdiv




REFLECTION

I enjoyed this project the most, adding the details was so much fun but super time-consuming. One detail such as the braided string on her hip took me almost 2 hours to finish.  There were also few accidents I made here and there when adding on the details, where I accidentally deleted the hip braids and had to redo it again because I could not get it back, I also will accidentally combine wrong layers together and could not undo it. The one thing I struggled the most with her clothes is the back cloth, nothing I did would make it turn out into what I initially plan so I had to just improvise because time was running out. Doing the polypainting took me forever especially with the body markings that took me 8 hours and the braids on her hips and shoes that took me 2hrs. I find that I am getting more used to with ZBrush especially with the hotkeys it's just ingrained in my memory right now. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design