Character Design - Task 3: Character Design Executions

17/10/2022 - 14/11/2022 ( Week 10 - Week 12 )

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Character Design / Entertainment Design
Task 3: Character Design Executions








Executions
I chose the third hero pose sketch that I have done in task 2 for my final hero pose because I liked how it shows the whole outfit without blocking any of the details. 


Fig. 1.1 Chosen Hero Pose sketch from Task 2


After that, I proceeded with the line art, flat colour and rendering of the hero pose.


Fig. 1.2 Hero Pose line art, Week 14 (26/11/2022) 



Fig. 1.3 Hero Pose flat colour, Week 14 (27/11/2022) 



Fig. 1.4 Hero Pose rendered, Week 14 (28/11/2022) 


I also decided to render the sword separately since the full design is not shown in the hero pose as she is grabbing it on the hilt of the sword. 


Fig. 1.5 Weapon line art, Week 14 (28/11/2022) 



Fig. 1.6 Weapon rendered, Week 14 (28/11/2022) 

This was just something I did for fun since I would 100% regret not doing it. Genshin Impact has something called drip marketing where they will post the characters that will be released in the next upcoming patch of the game in a template that belongs to the character's region and vision colour. Since Genshin Impact does not have any characters who hold double visions so I had to combine the electro and pyro together into one. I also used back the turnaround that I did from Task 2 where the icon is used as the character that is displayed in a player's profile while the side icon is used to switch into that character you want in-game. I also did the friendship namecard for my character, where in-game when you reach level 10 friendship with the character you have the game will reward you with the character's personalized namecard. For my character, I incorporated her clan symbol, the wisteria patterns on her sleeve and her body markings into the namecard. Then the weapon I followed how Hoyoverse which is the company that created Genshin Impact announces a new weapon in their Livestream. 


Fig. 1.7 Character Drip Marketing, Week 14 (9/10/2022) 


I also did this for fun, where Hoyoverse would reveal their new characters in their Livestream along with their gameplay demo. 



Fig. 1.8 Character reveal Livestream, Week 14 (9/10/2022) 


Continuing with the splash art I decided to combine the ideas I did for the VFX effects from task 2. I decided to incorporate number 3, 4 and 5 together. For the clouds above her, I was inspired by the storm at Seirai Island in Genshin Impact, and since that is where her home is, I found that it would make sense for it being the backdrop of the splash art.


Fig. 1.9 VFX Effects for Attacks from Task 2


Fig. 1.10 Storm at Seirai Island, Genshin Impact


Here is the sketch I did for the splash art.


Fig. 1.11 Character Splash Art sketch, Week 14 (28/11/2022) 


Here is the final splash art. The stormy clouds I made on top took me 6 hours because It kept looking so bad no matter how many times I drew it. I also changed the fire vortex on the bottom to orange since the sketch one looked like blood and also changed the placement of it because the previous one was too messy. I added wisteria petals to give it more personality where she is also kind and does not just give off "I want to kill you" kind of vibe. I also brighten all the colours to make it pop. 


Fig. 1.12 Character Splash Art finalized, Week 14 (2/12/2022) 


I then used a template that Genshin Impact has at the background of their characters when you wish from them and also personalize the name and visions.


Fig. 1.13 Character Splash Art in-game, Week 14 (2/12/2022) 


The 3D modelling part is where all my pain and suffering happened. I had to change a few things. First, the back cloth of her design as I could not find a way to make it as jagged as the one in the splash art, and I have no idea why I could not use the transparent option to make it sheer. Second, her pose, omg... ZBrush is extremely nice to me by crashing every time I try to bind the mesh. 


Fig. 1.14 Character 3D Model Week 14 (6/12/2022) 



Fig. 1.15 Character 3D Model Poster Week 14 (6/12/2022) 


Final


Fig. 2.1 Final Task 3: Character Design Executions - slides. Week 14 (6/12/2022)




FEEDBACK
Week 14 (28/11/2022)
Very impressive combination of ideas, development and so on. A lot of thoughts going into the process of making the character. I have a feeling you have this idea for quite some time already. It's just waiting for an outlet and you just pour it out into character design. Well done. It's very impressive to see how you utilize almost every nook and cranny of the Genshin Impact universe into your character design here. Speaking of that, right when I was watching Wednesday, I keep thinking like, who does this girl reminded me of so much? Apparently, it's your character when she's in her final boss form with her two pigtails. I think that's what reminded me of her. So that means, in a way, your character design works and well done. Impressive as always.



REFLECTION

I have been waiting to do the splash art for so long. To be honest I have never ever drawn a full body character before because I hate drawing legs and feet...... they are so weird. I was terrified that I was going to mess something up. My lack of confidence always gets to me, so I will always go to others like my friends and family about what they think of my design and drawings and through their opinions and suggestions, I will improve and fix them. I would also say that my rendering skills have improved and I hope to improve more in the future. Being able to do the extra stuffs like the drip marketing and Livestream reveal was so enjoyable. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design