Game Art - Project 2: 3D/2D Character and Environment (Porting and Testing)

 8/6/2023 - 28/6/2022 ( Week 10- Week 13)

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Game Art / Entertainment Design
Project 2: 3D/2D Character and Environment (Porting and Testing)


INSTRUCTION





3D/2D Character and Environment (Porting and Testing)

After some discussion with Mr. Kannan during feedback, I decided to do the 3D model for the antagonist, Mali.


Fig. 1.1  Finished art of Mali, reference (8/6/2023)


Week 10 - 
Character 3D Blockout
I didn't have much time to proceed with game art this week. I was only able to do a little blockout of Mali on Zbrush.


Fig. 2.1 Mali blockout progression (8/6/2023) 
 

Week 11 - 
Character 3D Blockout Progression
I continued with the block out this week, honestly struggled a lot with the middle part because I wasn't able to make it how it looked like in the illustration. 


Fig. 3.1 Mali blockout progression front and back (15/6/2023) 
 


Fig. 3.2 Mali blockout progression side and top (15/6/2023) 


Week 12 - 
3D Model Refinements
I did the refinements for the 3D model according to the feedback I got. 


Fig. 4.1 Mali model refinements (15/6/2023) 


Week 13 - 
Colour and Rendering
Went through YouTube again cause I forgot how to colour pick with spotlight and I found out that there is an easier way to colour pick using the ZColour in Zplugin. Just have your PureRef in the same screen and drag the colour pick onto the colour you want in PureRef and then Set Colour Voila you get the colour you want. 



Fig. 5.1 Mali colour palette (26/6/2023)  



Fig. 5.2 Zcolour tutorial  (26/6/2023)  


After finishing the painting I finish the 3D model by using the MatCap Metal01 Material to give Mali a metal finish since she is a machine lifeform. 


Fig. 5.3 Metal material in Zbrush (26/6/2023)  



Fig. 5.4 Z colour in Zbrush (26/6/2023)  


I was satisfied with how the model looked so I proceeded with rendering. The last time I rendered my character for anatomy class it took me 11 hours to figure it out now it took me 4 to remember everything again. I guess that's an improvement. 


Fig. 5.5 Rendering the 3D model (28/6/2023)  



Fig. 5.5  3D model sheet (28/6/2023)  



Fig. 5.5  Final rendered model (28/6/2023)  



Final


Fig. 6.1 Project 2: 3D/2D Character and Environment (Porting and Testing) (28/6/2023)



FEEDBACK

Week  11 (16/6/2023)
3d model- looks better, the long nails could be better, it feels like it's just sticking like that, maybe have it curve in the between, have it for the thumb as well, may want to sharpen the edge of the dress it looks a bit too thick right now (use high polish), bring the centre down a bit tapered, create alpha for patterns and texture, to make the chains, make the chain link once it is modelled, B (create insert mesh, make sure they are merged, new then it becomes a brush to make a curve use created multi insert brush, go to brush and alter the curves, warp mode, similar to IMM brushes, similar to the zipper. Look at lust from FMA nails, fix the middle base, refine everywhere smooth it properly, and add finger lines.

Week  12 (23/6/2023)
Looking good, just from the side view u have to adjust a little bit quite flat, just fix the chest and the head and it's good to go.



REFLECTION
3rd-time 3D modelling, it was so much easier this time. Mostly because I understand the functions and navigation of Zbrush from the previous semester already. The shortcuts are literally ingrained in my brain right now. Modelling a non-humanoid character is much less intensive as I did not have to worry much about the anatomy. Thought I would hate sculpting the organs but I actually enjoyed it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design