Environment Design - Project 1: Exterior and Landscape Design

4 /5/2023 - 11/6/2022 ( Week 6 - Week 10)

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Environment Design / Entertainment Design
Project 1: Exterior and Landscape Design


INSTRUCTION





Exterior and Landscape Design

Week 6-
Main Temple Sketch 
I first started with sketching out the temple. I know it looks horrible I was stuck with no ideas. 


Fig. 1.1  Main temple sketch (11/5/2023)



Week 7-
Sketch Progression
We were told to come up with a sketch for the map so that we can get a clear idea of where the locations are situated and understand the surrounding environment.


Fig. 2.1  Game map sketch (17/5/2023)


I then did 6 sketches for the temple with different perspectives.


Fig. 2.2  Main temple sketch compilation (17/5/2023)


mmm very terrible I know, It was very rushed I'm sorry.


Fig. 2.3  Temple gate sketch (17/5/2023)


Week 8-
Sketch Progression
With more time and ideas this time I did 6 thumbnail sketches for the temple gate. Since the main character is inspired by Thai Yaksha I decided to incorporate it in the same area her and her people enter through to go to the main temple. I wanted  to  make it scary and intimidating. 


Fig. 3.1  Temple gate sketch compilation (25/5/2023)


Week 10-
Refinements
I refined the sketch for the main temple as well as the temple gate.


Fig. 4.1  Main temple refinement sketch (7/6/2023)



Fig. 4.2  Temple gate refinement sketch (7/6/2023)


After I was satisfied with the temple gate sketch I proceeded with the line art where I added more details. 


Fig. 4.3  Temple gate line art (7/6/2023)


I continue with rendering the temple gate, thought it looks very dark right now. I was also confused on how to paint fog.


Fig. 4.4  Temple gate rendering (7/6/2023)



Fig. 4.5  Temple gate rendering with fog (7/6/2023)


Final Refinements
I refined the map sketch and marked the areas that are in the story. 


Fig. 5.1  Final game map sketch (11/6/2023)


I did not manage to finish the main temple was only able to do the line art and some simple colour value. The line art is still very bad thought because the building is senget.


Fig. 5.2 Main temple line art (11/6/2023)


I added the red leelawadee flowers just as a placeholder to see how it looks like when they are in the drawing. 


Fig. 5.3 Main temple colour value (11/6/2023)


I decided to focus on the temple gate more and finished the render. I wasn't able to decide whether it looks good with or without fog so I placed both of them in the slides. 


Fig. 5.4 Temple gate final line art (11/6/2023)



Fig. 5.5 Temple gate final render (11/6/2023)



Fig. 5.6 Temple gate final render with fog (11/6/2023)

Final


Fig. 6.1 Project 1: Exterior and Landscape Design   



FEEDBACK

Week 7 (18/5/2023)
The palace is so huge, add different shapes, temple concept is flat, if clean then it will have a landscape, if it's old and rural then nature has taken place with vines and overgrown trees, the trees are disturbing the view, why is it popping up there, go and see another reference artist to see how nature is bringing in, have forest ground, elevation, your building on top of ground, how are you going to bring life to it, is the mountain taking over negative space, its too cluttered. 2nd is elevated which is cool, take out the tree to see how the composition will work better, the temple is too small, and other things taking over overall- branches too much, don't have to rebuild everything.

Week 8 (26/5/2023)
1 - I like it, but too sparse and too empty. make the statue bigger and have stairs that is leading upwards going somewhere into the abyss, maybe have a buddha at the part, paste more statues there have empty space where the waterfall goes in, have some lily plants, some broken rocks at the walkway. The 5th is something interesting to start of with, having simple elements, look at Angkor wat, ancient temples, can have the head at the back there combine 1 and 5 can have a close up the head followed by two guards face on top and guards beside. Main temple, work with number 6, enlarge it.

Week 10 (8/6/2023)
The vibe is there, way better (temple gate), there's a fine line in using fog, since it's a higher ground exterior reduced to one. The further the things are the thinner the lines are, go and look for texture of rock wall and photo bash it.

Week 11 (15/6/2023)
Better, for walls need more breaking and overlapping,  focus on the gate, the temple trees look into leopard trees, take flower brush and slap it on, don't go into too much details yet.



REFLECTION
Struggled a lot in the beginning because I can't get the angles right, the structure always looks janky. But slowly I learned and through Mr. Kannan's feedback, I managed to come up with something I'm satisfied with.  Honestly wanted to finish the main temple in this project but other modules were making me insane. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design