Typography Task 3A : Type Design and Communication

 15.10.2021 - 29.10.2021 (Week 8 - Week 10)

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Typography
Task 3A: Type Design and Communication

LECTURES



INSTRUCTIONS




Task 3: Type Design and Communication
We were tasked to create a typeface for the letters (a i m e p y t g d o b ! , .) that has the hallmarks of a good typeface; subtlety, character, presence, legibility and readability.

Research

Fig. 1.1 Font styles

First I wanted to look at the font styles whether I like it to have technical or rigid layouts.


Fig. 1.2 Rigid fonts

I decided to look up on rigid fonts where the lines are more clean and precise.

Fig. 1.3 90's diner typeface

I was not able to find the name of this typeface but it personally reminds me of those old 90's diner kind of fonts. I find the way they balanced out the thin and thick lines are very interesting and makes it look classic.


My Sketches
Fig. 2.1 Typeface sketches (17/10/2021)

Fig. 2.2 Random sketches (18/10/2021)

After doing my research on typefaces and design, I sketched out three typefaces, I wanted to go with a more futuristic design and I ended up liking the 3rd sketch more in Fig. 1.1 since the lines beside the letters gives the design more depth to it. In Fig. 1.2 are random sketches I made but I decided not to use them as they were not consistent enough.



Deconstruction
Out of the 10 typefaces we were given, Univers LT Std 45 Light was chosen as my reference as the letter "a" was the same a as my chosen sketch and the structure of the typeface is rigid and has lesser complexity.

Fig. 3.1 Letter "a" deconstructed (20/10/2021)


Fig. 3.2 Letter "g" deconstructed (20/10/2021)


Fig. 3.3 Letter "t" deconstructed (20/10/2021)

Digitalization

Fig. 4.1 Creating guidelines (20/10/2021)


This guides are created by following Mr. Vinod's tutorial video. Where the letters "Tyd" in the font Myriad Pro was used as guidelines. The lines are ascender line, capital line, mean/median line, baseline, descender line. While the square box is used for the x-height which is (500pt x 500pt).



Fig. 4.2  & 4.3 Constructing the letter A before and after (21/10/2021)


Fig. 4.4 First design construction progress (21/10/2021)



Fig. 4.5 First design  (21/10/2021)

I decided to tryout constructing my first sketch first before going for the third one just to get an idea of how I would be creating my font in Illustrator. The first sketch design was pretty simple so it did not take me long to finish. The first sketch design turned out pretty clean and neat. 



Fig. 4.6 Second design  (21/10/2021)



Fig. 4.7 Second design first attempt (21/10/2021)

After constructing the structure for the letters, I went into creating the triangles that will be on the right side of the letters.



Fig. 4.8 Parts to adjust (26/10/2021)

During feedback session Mr. Vinod suggested to change these few things:
  • The vertical lines beside the letters should have a large space between the letter
  • The dot on "i" should be bigger then the straight line stroke, so the other dots should be changed as well
  • The horizontal line should reconsider to make it thicker
  • The end of the stroke of an exclamation mark should be slightly tapered
  • The tick of the comma should tick in and not straight


Fig. 4.9 Second design second attempt (26/10/2021)



Fig. 4.10 Evolution of the letter "m"

The "m" had the most changed from the first attempt and second attempt. The first one is that the line beside the letter is now further apart. Secondly, I decided to not show as stroke on the top of the "m". The horizontal lines are also now thicker.



Fig. 4.11 Readjusting the height (26/10/2021)

Before proceeding to generate my font in FontLab I had to readjust the height according to the x-height 500pt. I also did measurements to the font. 

Ascender Line: 718pt
Cap Line: 682pt
Median Line: 500pt
Baseline: 0pt
Descender Line: -213pt


Fig. 4.12 After adjusting the height (26/10/2021)




FontLab

Fig. 5.1 Letters generated in FontLab (26/10/2021)

The letters took me a while to generate since I accoutered some issues with FontLab7 since it was lagging so much and ended up not processing any of my letters. After that, I had to use FontLab5 instead and it ran way smoother there and I got it done in no time.


Fig. 5.2 Before kerning in FontLab (26/10/2021)

After generating my letters, I started to work on kerning.


Fig. 5.3 After kerning in FontLab (26/10/2021)

The kerning took a while, but I am satisfied with the results. After I was done with kerning, I exported my typeface and opened it in FontLab7 since FontLab5 mutated my entire typeface and exported it in FontLab7 again.


A4 Poster
I named my font opiem because this meme about "copium" has been stuck in my head for months. Copium is a combination of Cope (creating a psychological defense of a lighter belief to deal with a harsh truth) and Opium (a Drug). So since we did not create the letter "u" I thought it would be nice to replace it with an "e" instead so that I will be able to type it out with the font I created.

Fig. 6.1 A4 poster 1 (28/10/2021)

Fig. 6.2 A4 poster 2 (28/10/2021)

Fig. 6.3 A4 poster 3 (28/10/2021)

I used the initials from an anime called "Attack on Titan".

Fig. 6.4 A4 poster 4 (28/10/2021)

Fig. 6.5 A4 poster 5 (28/10/2021)

Fig. 6.6 A4 poster 6 (28/10/2021)

Fig. 6.7 A4 poster 7 (28/10/2021) Updated

Since Mr. Vinod said that my final poster that is fig.6.5 was not good  as it does not do justice to my typeface I decided to create a new one which is fig.6.7 where I made my font size larger and added a line which has the same thin line beside of the thick one just like my font, the line indicates the insertion point when you type but this one is in the front.

Preview
Want to type me out? 
Try typing with the letters   (  a  i  m  e  p  y  t  g  d  o  b  !  ,  .  ) 
Have fun!



Final Outcome



Fig. 7.1 "copiem" Task 3A: Type Design and Communication JPEG (28/10/2021)


Fig. 7.2 "copiem" Task 3A: Typo Poster A4 JPEG (28/10/2021) Updated



Fig. 7.3 "copiem" Task 3A: Type Design and Communication PDF (28/10/2021)




Fig. 7.4 "copiem" Task 3A: Typo Poster A4 PDF (28/10/2021) Updated



FEEDBACK

Week 9
General Feedback: 
Be very careful and consistent with your design.

Specific Feedback: 
Overall the design is consistent. The line beside the letter should be spaced apart more to that it will not disappear when the font size is small. Might have to consider about the horizontal line thickness, try to make it thicker a little bit. The comma should tick in and not be straight. The dots are bigger than the stem so have to make some changes for the "i" and the dots. For the exclamation mark it is never a straight line, there will be a little tapering towards the end of the stroke.



REFLECTIONS

Experiences
I really like this project and I was actually surprised that we area able to create our own typeface from scratch. The digitalizing part definitely was a hassle especially when I accoutered some problem with FontLab everything else turned out great. This project definitely has open a new perspective for me with typefaces as I now know how hard is it to make one and imagine creating a typeface with all the letters and symbol, I admire those people who are able to do so.

Observation
I found that being able to more observant to look out for minor details to keep a typeface consistent is very important. As a minor difference can be noticed and can change the whole look of that specific letter.

Findings
I find that creating a typeface requires a lot of time, dedication and you have to put all of your heart and soul into creating it.


FURTHER READINGS
I decided to go with Typography Referenced for my further reading this time as I found various of information about typefaces at the type classification and identification section that could help with this project.


Fig.1.1 Typography, Referenced: A Comprehensive Visual Guide to the Language, History, and Practice of Typography


Fig.1.2 Typefaces

Typefaces fall into one of the three basic groups:
1. Those with serifs (little feet and tails)
2. Those without serifs
3. Scripts (designed to look like cursive handwriting)


Fig.1.3 Serif Transitional- Baskerville

Serif Transitional:
John Baskerville an English printer and typographer established the style for these typeface in the middle of the eighteenth century. The reproduction of much finer character strokes and the maintenance of subtler character shapes has been allowed by his work with calendared paper and improved printing methods.



Fig.1.4 Serif Glyphic- Albertus

Serif Glyphic:
Typefaces in this category tend to reflect lapidary inscriptions rather than pen-drawn text.



Fig.1.5 Serif Slab- Rockwell

Serif Slab:
Slab serif typefaces became popular in the nineteenth century as advertising display designs. These typefaces have very heavy serifs or no bracketing.


Fig.1.6 Sans Serif Grotesque- Rockwell

Sans Serif Grotesque:
These are the first commercially popular sans serif typefaces. Contrast in stroke weight is most apparent in these styles, there is a slight “squared” quality to many of the curves, and several designs have the bowl-and-loop lowercase common to roman types. In some cases the R has a curled leg and the G usually has a spur. Some modern sans serif designs derive from the first Grotesques, but are more refined in form. 


Fig.1.7 Sans Serif Geometric- Futura

Fig.1.8 Examples of Sans Serif Geometric




REFERENCES

Fig. 1.1 Font styles
https://identity.stanford.edu/design-elements/typography/accent-typefaces/

Fig. 1.2 Rigid fonts
https://www.myfonts.com/tags/rigid

Fig. 1.3 90's diner typeface
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/157766793181693454/

Further readings-
Typography, Referenced: A Comprehensive Visual Guide to the Language, History, and Practice of Typography, Allan Haley, Richard Poulin, Jason Tselentis, Tony Seddon, Gerry Leonidas, Ina Saltz, Kathryn Henderson with Tyler Alterman, February 2012.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design