Typography Task 3B: Type Design and Communication

5.11.2021 - 19.11.2021 (Week 10 - Week 13)

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Typography
Task 3B: Type Design and Communication

LECTURES



INSTRUCTIONS




Task 3B: Type Design and Communication

1. Graphical work in illustrator
2. Create your BW sticker - take screen grab
3. Colour palette (use website samples)



Research

Before I started sketching I did multiple research on sticker designs to get inspired and this were the few that caught my attention.

Fig. 1.1 Sticker research


Fig. 1.2 Chinese New Year sticker


Fig. 1.3 Chinese New Year sticker ideas



I did multiple sketches as I was inspired by the many activities and symbolism that we have during the Chinese New Year.



Fig. 2.1 Sketches 1 (3/11/2021)

1. Fortune cookie
2. Bamboo and clouds in a hexagon shaped box
3. Yee Sang, a dish that contains shredded veggies, raw fish, crackers and various of sauces. Everyone will come together and use their chopsticks to toss the Yee Sang. The significance of the tossing is to wish abundant luck and happiness for all.
4. Smoke coming out of joss sticks.
5. A dragon


Fig. 2.2 Sketches 2 (3/11/2021)


6. Firecracker
7. Fan
8. Calligraphy scroll
9. Money pouch
10. Chinese god of prosperity
11. Mandarin orange


Digitalization

Fig. 3.1 Testing out the fonts from the 10 typefaces (10/11/2021)

The design I picked to explore further was the fortune cookie, firecracker and madarin orange.

Even though fortune cookies aren't something that Chinese normally eats during the Chinese New Year since it was created by Chinese Americans but it is still widely known and I thought it would be fun creating a sticker out of it. 

Fig. 3.2 Digitalizing in Illustrator (10/11/2021)

Fortune cookie: 
Warp was used to fit the words for the curve and make it flow like paper for the paper part.
Font used: Univers LT Std 65 Bold, 57 Condensed
Taylor's logo: Beside the word happy

Firecracker: 
Envelope distort was used to mimic the shape of the firecracker.
Font used: Gill Sans MT Bold 
Taylor's logo: Spark for the firecracker

Mandarin orange:
Envelope distort was used to create the roundness that the mandarin orange has.
Font used: Gill Sans MT Bold Condensed 
Taylor's logo: Behind the first orange piece




Fig. 3.3 Tried them out on Telegram (10/11/2021)

This was my first time creating stickers on Telegram so I was not that confident about it but it was surprisingly easy as the bot gave clear instructions of what to do.

After my feedback session with Mr. Vinod, I decided to go with the mandarin orange. Mr. Vinod said that I try to use the envelope distort like how I did with the firecracker and fill up the center part of the orange as my sticker was very graphical. He also suggested on adding some specks and bumps on the mandarin orange as right now it looks more like a melon than a mandarin orange.


Fig. 3.4 Redesigned stickers (16/11/2021)

Since my previous mandarin orange design was too graphical I redid the design and decided to leave out the pieces of orange and focus on one orange instead. I still struggled with the placement for the words as the envelope mask does not work the way I want it too. I also noticed that in the new design the right leaf blocks parts of the "Y" in the word "Happy".

Font used: Gill Sans MT Bold Condensed and ITC New Baskerville Std Bold

Fig. 3.5 New version stickers (17/11/2021) 

For the new version I decided to keep the leaf standing up so that it does not block the words, added some sparkles on the right side and I also tried envelope masking the words again. This time I felt that the second design in fig3.4 has more potential but still needs a bit more adjustments to it.

Font used: Gill Sans MT Bold Condensed


Fig. 3.6 "Happy Chinese New Year" digitalized version (17/11/2021) 

After readjusting the envelope masking I am satisfied with my design, I then move on to applying colour to the vector.

Font used: Gill Sans MT Bold Condensed




Fig. 3.7 Colour palette

I went to search for orange inspired colour palette and I really like this one.


Fig. 3.8 Adding colours (18/11/2021) 

Fig. 3.9 Adding textures and details (18/11/2021) 

I used the transparency tool and masked the orange part . After that I went to add texture and grain to create the texture of an orange.


Animating the sticker


Fig. 4.1 Adding frames to the sparkle (18/11/2021) 



Fig. 4.2 Adding frames to the word "Happy Chinese New Year" (18/11/2021) 


Fig. 4.3 Sticker animation (18/11/2021) 

Creating the sticker animation was hectic since I have not much experienced on Adobe After Effects until recently so my skills and knowledge are still a bit on the blur side. I chose a simple animation for the sticker as I am not that skill in using this software yet. Other than that the exporting process was a pain as it did not exported properly. After a gruesome process I was able to export the file .


Final Outcome


Fig. 4.1 Final black and white sticker PNG (18/11/2021) 

Fig. 4.2 Final colour sticker PNG (18/11/2021) 



Fig. 4.3 Final black and white sticker PNG (18/11/2021) 



Fig. 4.4 Final colour sticker PNG (18/11/2021) 




Fig. 4.5 Final animated sticker GIF (18/11/2021) 


Fig. 4.6 Screenshot of the sticker used on Telegram (19/11/2021) 

Telegram sticker can be downloaded here:

Amount of time spent (The timings are not accurate as I did not record them):
Sketching: 3 hours
Digitalizing the sticker: 18 hours
Animating sticker: 2 hours
Exporting the animation sticker: 2 hours



FEEDBACK

Week 11 (5/11/2021)
General Feedback: Try to not use as much graphical elements in your design.

Specific Feedback: Can proceed to digitalize the fortune cookie, firecracker and mandarin orange in black and white. Utilize envelope mask for your design. Great work on the design exploration. 

Week 12 (12/11/2021)
General Feedback: The stickers should not be too graphical and distortion should be use as minimum as possible.

Specific Feedback: I picked the mandarin orange design out of the 3 I made. Mr. Vinod said that my mandarin orange looks like a watermelon so try to make it rounder. I should also adjust the words to make it bigger as the word is being underwhelmed by the graphical elements that are in my design. The words should also be placed better as now the words looks out of place. It does not have to fill up the whole orange and the top and bottom part can be left empty try to use the middle part. Also add some spots on the mandarin orange to make it look more realistic.




REFLECTIONS

Experiences
At first I thought that this project would be easy but I was so wrong. The process took me ages as I was not able to get what I wanted right and I was very scared that I was not able to finish it in time. Other than that creating the animation sticker was hectic it took forever to save it since some of the methods was not able to save it properly. I had multiple breakdowns due to that too. Overall I am very happy with my outcome and I hope that I can be able to utilize the software better in the future. 


Observation
The adjustments for the font as well as doing the envelope mask is a very precise process and tweaking it a little can change the overall look of the design. Creating multiple versions of the design helped me know about the differences it makes.


Findings
From my personal point of view stickers are always something I thought would be very easy to make. The amount of restrictions where we are not allowed to use too much graphics as well as distortion was quite stressful to come up ideas with.




FURTHER READINGS

Fig. 1.1 Typographic design: Form and Communication


Fig. 1.2 Varieties of E

These elaborations of the letter E express a variety of concepts. Where the first one is washed out and scratch to make it look like paint that had been scraped. Crease was made by cutting a part of the letter "E" and a slight vertical shift. A small part of the letter "E" for peel was cut and then distorted to create the peel like effect. Smudge tool was used for melt to create wavy patterns like water melting. A few part of the "E" for splinter was cut off and distorted.

Fig. 1.3 H(ear)ing

A visual of an ear is substituted for the letters E, A, and R.


Fig. 1.4 Ei8ht

The numeral 8 functions as the letter g in this logotype used for a group exhibition of paintings by the early twentieth century American art group the Eight.



Fig. 1.5 Families

Since the word "Families" usually means there are more than one person, the letter "i" was taken advantage of as the circle on top of the letter "i" looks like a human head while the bottom part looks like a body. So the way the letter "L" is taken away and replaced with an "i" instead makes it looks like 3 human figures where the tallest one is the father, the left one is the mother and the shortest one is the child. Three of the "i" placed together creates one family


Fig. 1.6 Poster by David Colley

Instead of the letter "G" the word "working" is express with a power button as the letter "G" instead. 


Fig. 1.7 Zipper

The exaggeration of the letter "I" and "P" made the word zipper express the same texture and visual of what an actual zipper has. It is achieved by a repetition of letters and a horizontal shift within the word.



REFERENCES

Fig. 1.1 Sticker research
https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/set-of-merry-christmas-and-happy-chinese-new-year-design-in-retro-style-vector-gm1173547670-326002401

Fig. 1.2 Chinese New Year sticker
https://wdrfree.com/stock-vector/chinese-new-year-family

Fig. 1.3 Chinese New Year sticker ideas
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/10555380361433552/

Fig. 3.6 Colour palette
https://colorpalettes.net/color-palette-4088/

Further Readings
Typographic Design: Form and Communication, 6th Edition, Rob Carter, Philip B. Meggs, Ben Day, Sandra Maxa, Mark Sanders










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design