Advanced Typography - Task 3

30/5/2022 - 27/6/2022 (Week 10 - Week 14)

Sasilvia Cheong Pei Hoong / 0345031 / Bachelors of Design in Creative Media
Advanced Typography
Task 3- 
Type Exploration and Application

LECTURES



INSTRUCTIONS



Task 3: Type Exploration and Application
For task 3 we are given the option to either develop a font to solve a problem or be a part of a solution in the area of our interest such as graphic design, animation, new media, entertainment design, etc or explore the use of typeface to understand its existing relationship, identify areas that could be improved upon, and explore possible solutions or combinations that may add value to the existing typeface. 

The end outcome could be a designed font and its application which can be manifested into any kind of format related to the issue being solved or explored: animation, 3D, print, ambient, projection, movie title or game title, use of different material, etc. 

Proposal
I came up with 3 ideas for my proposal and compile them into a google slide:


Fig. 1.1 Task 3 proposal (28/5/2022)


Inspiration
After receiving feedback from Mr. Vinod where I have to have the font I am creating to be relevant to the artwork I create. Mr. Vinod suggested ideas like spiders, sharp pointy shapes, and anything associated with gothic. So what came up in my mind was the words heavy metal and cults so I went on Pinterest to get inspired by cult inspired fonts.


Fig. 2.1 Inspiration 1 (28/5/2022)



Fig. 2.2 Inspiration 2 (28/5/2022)



Fig. 2.3 Inspiration 3 (28/5/2022)



Fig. 2.4 Inspiration 4 (28/5/2022)



Fig. 2.5 Inspiration 5 (28/5/2022)





Sketches
After looking at inspirations I went onto Procreate to do my sketches, I made my sketches extra clean because I find it easier coming up with ideas by drawing them out than straight away digitalizing it in Illustrator. For my typeface design, I went with the pointy shapes on the bottom and top of the typeface and some parts of the typefaces have vertical and curved cuts on them.

Fig. 2.1 Sketches for alphabets (4/6/2022)


Fig. 2.2 Sketches for numbers and punctuation (4/6/2022)



Digitalization
I started digitalizing the letter and numbers, I was somewhat struggling with some of the letters so it took some time to create them. I also decided to pull the letter "C", "G", "O" and  "Q" so that they will be the same size as the other letters. I also made some changes to a few letters so that it looks more consistent and align with each other. I changed the middle part of the letter "A" so that it aligns with the middle part of the other letters. The end part for the letter "J" was changed to have a sharp point. The letter "Q" also had a makeover as I felt that the sketch one looked bland so I added a intersect line in it. Other changes are the sizes and the cut out lines and curves.

I was only able to make a portion of the digitalization for week 12 feedback. 


Fig. 3.1 Draft 1 of alphabets digitalization (11/6/2022)



Fig. 3.2 Draft 1 of numbers and punctuation digitalization (11/6/2022)


After receiving feedback from Mr. Vinod, I changed some of the characters design. For the "C", "G", "O" and  "Q" I was told that it looked very odd stretched out and also that is should be shorter than the sharp points on the other letters. Changing that it made the letters round again which was way better than before. The letter "J" was also cut short so that it does not have too much counterspace. The sharp ends of the letter "K" and "R" are pulled down so that it is not short and awkward looking. Other than that I suffered a lot making the letters "S", "V", "W", "X" and "Y".


Fig. 3.3 Draft 2 of alphabets digitalization with guides (18/6/2022)


I also completed the numbers and punctuation.


Fig. 3.4 Draft 2 of numbers and punctuation digitalization with guides (18/6/2022)


These are the elements I used to construct my letterforms, the circles are used to create the curve cuts and the small rectangle box is for the vertical cut. For the curve cuts, the circle sizes vary for each letter.


Fig. 3.5 Elements used to construct the fonts (18/6/2022)


Fig. 3.6 Draft 2 of alphabets digitalization (18/6/2022)


Fig. 3.7 Draft 2 of numbers and punctuation digitalization (18/6/2022)



Generating the font in Font Forge
This is where the pain happens, I started out by looking at the 2mins font forge tutorial video provided in Kreatif Beats. After exporting all of the vectors into SVG files I imported them into font forge. When I did that my fonts were all the same height and the ascender and descender lines were all not cooperating with me. I tried looking up for solutions and I was not able to find anything.


Fig. 4.1 Converting vectors into SVG file (18/6/2022)


I got frustrated, had a mental breakdown, realize I didn't have time for a mental breakdown then continued looking for solutions.

Then I came across these 2 videos which saved me.


Fig. 4.2 Converting vectors into SVG file (18/6/2022)



Fig. 4.3 Converting vectors into SVG file (18/6/2022)


What I learned from those two videos is that font forge is a pain to use. And also that we have to adjust our own ascender and descender lines. The video taught me another way of exporting the SVG files, it was incredibly tedious to do, I was hesitant at first but I had no choice but to just live through the pain. I separated the vectors and adjusted them into the ascender and descender lines.


Fig. 4.4 Separating each vector onto individual artboards (19/6/2022)



Fig. 4.5 Adjusting vector to ascender and descender lines (19/6/2022)


I adjusted the overall letter height to 1000em and descender height to 167em following what I did in Illustrator.


Fig. 4.6 Adjusting the overall letter height and the descender height (19/6/2022)


Then I adjusted the right line to fit my letter. 


Fig. 4.7 Adjusting right line (19/6/2022)


I encountered another problem here, font forge only gave one slot for the single and double quotation marks so it either using only the left single quotation mark or the right single quotation mark and also either the left double quotation mark or the right double quotation mark. I tried finding solutions on how to solve it. The internet said we have to reencode the slots but I tried for hours and it did not work so I decided to announce that these four quotation marks are dead to me. 


Fig. 4.8 RIP quotation marks (19/6/2022)


After that mess, I went on adjusting the width metrics for the letters, numbers, and punctuation. 


Fig. 4.9 Width metrics (19/6/2022)


After 11 hours of figuring out how to use font forge, I finally was able to generate it.


Fig. 4.10 The font in individual slots (19/6/2022)



Fig. 4.11 Generated font (19/6/2022)



Application
For my application, I decided to apply the fonts to my artworks and also do some self-promoting for my art account which is somewhat like branding myself.
My Instagram art account: https://www.instagram.com/kaenhibana/
My Instagram art account username is not my real name but an alternative name I created which is "Kaen Hibana", it's just a translation from Japanese where Kaen means flame and Hibana means spark. I had a liking for fire, though I do not know why. 


Fig. 5.1 My art account (19/6/2022)


I placed the fonts onto my artwork and made them like art posters, artbook covers, and also merchandise which will be useful for me in the future since I am planning to open an art shop to sell my artworks. Other than that, I will be using the fonts in the future as well to create a commission poster for my commissions pricing list.

Applications:
1. Art posters
2. Artbook cover
3. Art posters mockup
4. Artbook mockup
5. Pin buttons mockup
6. Stickers mockup


#1 Art posters



Fig. 5.1 Art poster "Lady with Red Eyes" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 5.2 Art poster "Lurking Lotus" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 5.3 Art  poster "Haywire" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 5.4 Art  poster "Reminiscence of Lost Times" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 5.5 Art  poster "He is mine. He can't leave me" (19/6/2022)



#2 Artbook covers


Fig. 6.1 Artbook cover  "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Shock" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 6.2 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Denial" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 6.3 Artbook cover  "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Anger" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 6.4 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Bargaining" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 6.5 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Depression" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 6.6 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Acceptance" (19/6/2022)



Fig. 6.7 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Grief" 
(19/6/2022)



#3 Merchandise
Mockup file used for art poster: 
https://mockups-design.com/free-poster-mockup-2/

Mockup file used for artbook:
https://mockups-design.com/free-book-mockup-5/

Mockup file used for pin buttons:
https://mockups-design.com/free-pin-button-mockup/

Mockup file used for stickers:
https://mockups-design.com/free-round-sticker-mockup/



Fig. 7.1 Art poster "Haywire" mockup (20/6/2022)



Fig. 7.2 Art poster "Reminiscence of Lost Times" mockup (20/6/2022)



Fig. 7.3 Artbook "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Shock"  mockup
(20/6/2022)



Fig. 7.4 Pin buttons mockup (20/6/2022)



Fig. 7.5 Sticker mockup (20/6/2022)


Application after feedback
After receiving feedback from Mr. Vinod I made the type larger so that the star is not the visuals but the type. As for some of the drawings were way too bright and it disrupted the existence of the type, I decided to edit the drawings to make them darker so that the type would pop out. 

#1 Art posters


Fig. 8.1 Art poster "Lady with Red Eyes" (21/6/2022)



Fig. 8.2 Art poster "Lurking Lotus" (21/6/2022)


Fig. 8.3 Art  poster "Haywire" (21/6/2022)



Fig. 8.4 Art  poster "Reminiscence of Lost Times" (21/6/2022)


Fig. 8.5 Art  poster "He is mine. He can't leave me" (21/6/2022)



#2 Artbook covers
Same with the posters I also darken the colour of the visuals so that the focus will be more on the type. I also combine another typeface with my own in the artbook cover which was TW Cen MT regular and italic. I compiled all 7 of the artbook covers into one as well.



Fig. 9.1 Artbook cover  "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Shock" (23/6/2022)



Fig. 9.2 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Denial" (23/6/2022)



Fig. 9.3 Artbook cover  "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Anger" (23/6/2022)



Fig. 9.4 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Bargaining" (23/6/2022)



Fig. 9.5 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Depression" (23/6/2022)



Fig. 9.6 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Acceptance" (23/6/2022)



Fig. 9.7 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Grief" (23/6/2022)



Fig. 9.8 Artbook cover 7 stages of grief compilation (23/6/2022)


#3 Merchandise
I changed the art posters mockup according to the art posters that I changed above. For the artbook, I also changed the cover and added one more mockup for a better view. The type on the pins and stickers mockups are bigger and more focused rather than the visuals.


Fig. 10.1 Art poster "Haywire" mockup (23/6/2022)



Fig. 10.2 Art poster "Reminiscence of Lost Times" mockup (23/6/2022)



Fig. 10.3 Artbook "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Acceptance"  mockup
(23/6/2022)



Fig. 10.4 Artbook "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Shock"  mockup
(23/6/2022)



Fig. 10.5 Pin buttons mockup (23/6/2022)



Fig. 10.6 Sticker mockup (23/6/2022)





Final Type Exploration and Application
Approximate time taken
72 hours





Fig. 11.1 "RavenGoth" - final type design JPEG ( 19/6/2022)



Fig. 11.2 "RavenGoth" - final type display JPEG (19/6/2022)

#1 Art posters


Fig. 11.3 Art poster "Lady with Red Eyes" JPEG  (21/6/2022)



Fig. 11.4 Art poster "Lurking Lotus" JPEG  (21/6/2022)


Fig. 11.5 Art  poster "Haywire" JPEG (21/6/2022)



Fig. 11.6 Art  poster "Reminiscence of Lost Times" JPEG (21/6/2022)


Fig. 11.7 Art  poster "He is mine. He can't leave me" JPEG (21/6/2022)



#2 Artbook covers



Fig. 11.8 Artbook cover  "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Shock" JPEG (23/6/2022)




Fig. 11.9 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Denial" JPEG (23/6/2022)




Fig. 11.10 Artbook cover  "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Anger" JPEG (23/6/2022)




Fig. 11.11 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Bargaining" JPEG (23/6/2022)




Fig. 11.12 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Depression" JPEG (23/6/2022)




Fig. 11.13 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Acceptance" JPEG (23/6/2022)




Fig. 11.14 Artbook cover "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Grief" JPEG (23/6/2022)



Fig. 11.15 Artbook cover 7 stages of grief compilation JPEG (23/6/2022)


#3 Merchandise
Mockup file used for art poster: 
https://mockups-design.com/free-poster-mockup-2/

Mockup file used for artbook:
https://mockups-design.com/free-book-mockup-5/

Mockup file used for pin buttons:
https://mockups-design.com/free-pin-button-mockup/

Mockup file used for stickers:
https://mockups-design.com/free-round-sticker-mockup/



Fig. 11.16 Art poster "Haywire" mockup JPEG (23/6/2022)




Fig. 11.17 Art poster "Reminiscence of Lost Times" mockup JPEG (23/6/2022)



Fig. 11.18 Artbook "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Acceptance"  mockup JPEG 
(23/6/2022)



Fig. 11.19 Artbook "Suffocate- 7 stages of grief: Shock"  mockup JPEG 
(23/6/2022)



Fig. 11.20 Pin buttons mockup JPEG (23/6/2022)



Fig. 11.21 Sticker mockup JPEG (23/6/2022)



Fig. 11.22 Final PDF (23/6/2022)


FEEDBACK

Week 10- 
General Feedback: 
Make sure that your purpose is clear either experimenting or problem-solving.

Specific Feedback: 
The Morse code idea is not relevant to the artwork that you create. Make sure that the inspiration you have some relevance to the work that you make. For example, spiders, sharp pointy shapes, and anything associated with gothic. 

Week 11- 
Holiday

Week 12- 
General Feedback: 
The application of the fonts is important so think thoroughly about it.

Specific Feedback: 
The O should be slightly above the sharp points as it looks very odd. The end part of the "J" is too long might need to end it earlier because when doing the type setting there will be too much counter space there. The right line of the "R" needs to come lower so that the pointy part comes out. Suggestions for the application, branding your work, typeset your name, placing a picture of yourself, words that represent you, brand anything that is associated with you.

Week 13- 
General Feedback: 
The type should be the main point and not the visuals, the visuals can be there but it should not take the attention away from the type.

Specific Feedback: 
The words have to be larger, think back to the typographic system exercise and remember how we manipulate the letters or words in the alignment style. The star can not be the visuals the star has to be the type, imagine everything that was shown are book titles, the title is bigger than the visuals. There is a need to find a way to do both without compromising the type. The type is appropriate with the style of the illustration, so it fits well. Consider using two typefaces, one is your typeface the display typeface which is big, complimenting that for the smaller text use an alternative typeface, it will enrichen the visual experience a little bit more. Same with the pins and stickers the type should be bigger. The idea is okay but shift the attention to the type.


REFLECTIONS

Experiences
This assignment was fun but exhausting at the same time as we had other projects to rush as well. To make things worse there were 3 projects due at the same time which was extremely painful. The outcome I have with my design was better than I thought, it ended up being a typeface that represents who I am, like my love for heavy metal, gothic kinds of stuff, rock, ravens basically the dark stuffs. I definitely will find myself using this font in the future mainly in my art account posts, stories, promoting, and also commissioning. I am also very happy that I get to incorporate my artworks into this project. The amount of back pain I got will not be in vain.

Observation
Looking at existing typefaces, artworks, and even real-life objects helped boost my ideas in creating this font. The forms and shapes one by one dissecting it to come up with a new idea. When creating the letters the way the curves are cut can greatly affect the way the letters will look, if done badly will look very off. The height and width of the font makes a huge difference. Observing and analyzing art posters was a big help when applying my typeface to my artworks.  The layout and placement was also something to look out for, so I took my experience from exercise 1 task 1 and made use of it. 

Findings
I found that making sharp curvy pointy typefaces makes my life miserable. Having to get the perfect curves and make use of the pointy parts was hard, especially when making the letters "S", "V", "W", "X" and "Y". Took me a long time to find back motivation to make them as I keep failing. One more thing, font forge...... I hope the next time I use it, it will not take me 11 hours to finish. 


FURTHER READINGS


Fig. 1.1 Thinking with type by Ellen Lupton


When creating my font I often forget about what the structure of the type is. This book helped me refresh my memories when creating my font.


The anatomy of a let consist of the cap height, x-height, baseline, bowl, serif, descend, ligature, finial, ascender, terminal, spine, counter, and cross bar.


Fig. 1.2 Anatomy of letters 1 (Page 36)


The x-height is the height of the main height of a lowercase letter which does not include the ascender and descender. The baseline is on the bottom part of all the letters.


Fig. 1.3 Anatomy of letters 2 (Page 37)



Fig. 1.4 Classification of letters 2 (Page 44)



REFERENCES

Fig. 1.1 Task 3 proposal (28/5/2022)- The morse code picture
https://www.embedded.com/storing-morse-code-in-c-a-comparison-of-techniques/

Fig. 2.1 Inspiration 1 (28/5/2022)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/858780222706418779/

Fig. 2.2 Inspiration 2 (28/5/2022)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/858780222706418781/

Fig. 2.3 Inspiration 3 (28/5/2022)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/858780222706415409/

Fig. 2.4 Inspiration 4 (28/5/2022)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/858780222706415463/

Fig. 2.5 Inspiration 5 (28/5/2022)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/858780222706415476/

Further Readings
Fig. 1.1 Fig. 1.1 Thinking with type by Ellen Lupton
https://readings.design/PDF/thinkingwithtype_ellenlupton.pdf









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minor Project: Haelan Herbs

Design Research Dissertation - Project 2: Final Dissertation with Visual Design

Digital Matte Painting - Final Project: Thematic Matte Painting (VFX)